Commonplaces

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Week of August 28 - September 1

Add Your Commonplaces for the Coming Week Here


Click on the link at the bottom of this comment and add your commonplaces to the window that says "Leave Your Comment."
  • Don't forget to comment on all five of your quotes.
  • Please sign your name at the bottom of your submission — I cannot always tell who you are from your email address or from your handle.
  • Post by Friday night.

If You Post Anywhere Else, You Will Not Receive Credit



Mr. Kenney

3 Comments:

  • For Katie Erickson:
    “From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.” –Sir Winston Churchill
    This quote is really funny. I just thought it was interesting, and I had to read it twice to get it. Pretty good for a politician.

    "No Christian and, indeed, no historian could accept the epigram which defines religion as 'what a man does with his solitude.'" –C.S. Lewis
    I just love C.S. Lewis and respect him so much. This statement is so true, because religion shouldn’t be what everyone else see’s us doing, but what we do by ourselves and how we pray to Jesus when we’re by ourselves or read the bible when we’re alone. Not just doing these things when we’re with other Christians because it’s easier in a group, the real challenge is continuing the personal relationship with Christ.


    “Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation. It is better be alone than in bad company.” –George Washington
    Wow, George Washington is so cute for having said this. This is true, sometimes people (including myself) don’t know anyone in certain classes or other places and will attach themselves and make friends with people even if they aren’t the most virtuous. Being alone is hard but better than those friends.

    “Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing.” -Thomas Jefferson
    True True. There are so many hours in the day when you think about it, but it never seems to be enough to get everything done. Sometimes when I look back and reflect upon what I have done during the day I realize how much loafing I have actually done, and how much I could have gotten done if I had taken a little less time doing this and that.

    “I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson
    Ha ha. This is just perfect for our assignment. I wanted to share this because it seemed to be speaking to me as I looked up a quote from him. Plus it makes me just want to change this blog assignment to writing an opinion about something.

    By Blogger Mr. Kenney, at 9/02/2006 7:11 PM  

  • For Ashton Steuer:
    1.) Pats on the back don't get the job done. Mr. Kenney
    I thought this was worth writing down because it is veyr true.

    2.) I DON'T want to see the word good job written on anyone's paper. Mr. Kenney
    I though this was worth writing down because when you are workshopping you can't jsut tell people good job because it doesn't help them make it better.

    3.) Times like these and times like those what will be will be and so it goes. Jack Johnson
    I thought this was worth writing down, because I really like the line of this song and it is very true.

    4.) I can't wait to see you I am so excited to see you! Tyler Henry
    I thought this was worth writing down because it meant a lot to me to hear Tyler tell me that.

    5.) I am really excited you are coming to visit, I can't wait! Mrs. Henry
    I thought this was worth writing down, because this also meant a lot to me to hear this because I am very excited to go up to New Jersey and see my boyfriend and see his mom.

    By Blogger Mr. Kenney, at 9/02/2006 7:33 PM  

  • Diane Cassidy posted this to last week's Commonplaces"
    Diane Cassidy said...

    "One who sits between two chairs may easily fall down." -Romanian Proverb

    i like this quote- its kind of funny, yet also true. i know its hard to take sides but if you don't know where you stand you'll fall.

    "Find out who you are and do it on purpose." -A Walk to Remember

    this quote reminds me to have a purpose in everything i do, and notto just do things without knowing why.

    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity." -Charles Mingus

    i like this quote, its so true. people love to make things more complicated, but simplifying things takes talent.

    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney

    this is a fun quote. it makes me want to try things other people said i couldn't do.

    "The shoe that fits one person pinches another." -Carl Gustav Jung

    not everything that works for one person works for another, everyone's different.

    Diane Cassidy

    8/30/2006 8:04 PM

    By Blogger Mr. Kenney, at 9/04/2006 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home